Don’t let the cold keep you locked away this winter, especially with some of latest outdoor heaters available.
With the darkness of winter slowly creeping into our subconscious, it can be tempting for many to ride out the coming months in hibernation.
Whilst months of pyjamas and Netflix may seem like the most logical decision, several benefits getting outdoors can have on your mental wellbeing – even if you only get as far as your garden.
One of the most effective ways of beating the glum that comes with the cold is through standing propane-fueled heaters.
Those who are looking for the best patio heater, however, may be somewhat baffled by the number of varieties there are. Thankfully for buyers, we have compiled a shortlist of some of the top outdoor patio heaters which can help them beat the winter chill and keep them cosy and warm throughout the season.
Top 15 Standing Propane Heater Options
When it comes to standing heater options, one of the most popular and effective ways of beating the cold is through a propane-powered outdoor heater.
These are popular in both domestic setting as well as bars and restaurants because of their ability to warm the patio area around them quickly and effectively – letting the user enjoy the warmth of indoors, within an outdoor patio setting.
1. Belleze Premium Outdoor Patio Heater
One of the best standing propane heater options for your patio is the Belleze Premium model. These heaters have been optimised to plum out 48 000 Btu of warmth, over a diameter of 15 ft of range – meaning that all who sit within 15ft of the device are well within its heating area.
They are also designed to be one of the most sturdy and powerful patio heaters on the market, making them one of the best overall gasoline patio heater models for any outdoor space.
- The sturdy and durable model features an attractive design and can be moved through built-in wheels and easily stored when not being used.
- Features the latest in anti-tilt technology and design, which means that whenever the device tilts beyond 30º it automatically shuts off – massively reducing any potential hazards of risks.
- The price tag of the Belleze Premium models is definitely made with a serious buyer in mind.
- May be too large in dimensions for the types of patio that some people have.
2. Hampton Bay Stainless Steel Patio Heater
One of the top picks for those who are looking to add some warmth to their outdoor space would be the Hampton Bay Stainless Steel model.
These sleek looking gas-powered outdoor patio heaters can heat an area of around 200 square feet, allowing yourself and any guest to your home to easily and comfortably warm themselves during any winters night.
These stainless steel models are built to endure any weather conditions without rusting or degrading, making them the perfect option for anyone looking to bring warmth to their outdoor patio area all through the year.
- Amazon #1 Best Selling outdoor heater due to its simple to use heat operation, and the ability to easily bring cosiness and warmth to your patio.
- Simple to build and set up. The Hampton Bay patio heater and includes all the tools – wrench, screws, bolts etc – which you will need to assemble the outdoor patio heater properly.
- Does not include built-in wheels, which may present a problem, depending on the size of the patio that it is being used in.
- This model of propane patio heater is marketed at a higher price range than some of the other options of outdoor patio heaters available.
3. Dr Infrared Heater
The Dr Infrared Heater is another of the best patio heaters, as it can be used as both an outside heater, and an indoor one. Unlike the previously mentioned devices, the Dr Infrared Heater is a 1500w carbon infrared electric patio heater which does not require a propane tank.
Rather it offers users clean, odourless carbon infrared heat through three different electrical settings which range from 1 (900w) to 3 (1500w) – making it a truly effective electric patio heater for any setting.
- These electric patio heaters can be easily wall-mounted, or ceiling mounted depending on the wishes of the user.
- They are also made from durable anodized, weatherproof aluminium which will endure for years, and it also has a remote control which lets the user easily operate it from a distance.
- There are larger models of electric heaters available, which may be better suited for those looking to warm a bigger outdoor space.
- A premium-priced product which may be outwith the price range of some buyers.
4. Hiland Gas Powered Patio heater
A propane patio heater which can be an effective way of making sure your guests will feel the heat this wintertime is the Hiland Gas Powered Patio heater.
This is a propane tank powered golden flame patio heater which has an output of 40000 British Thermal Units and can be placed on most patio surfaces – including wood – without causing any damage.
- The Hiland patio heater allows users to watch the flames within the glass tube of the unit when it is in operation, which makes them one of the most attractive and visual appealing of the outdoor furnaces available.
- Can give off a heat radiance of between 000 BTUs to 40000 BTUs, allowing the user the freedom to warm their patio space as they choose.
- Does not come with a cover, which is an optional addition that many other outdoor patio heaters come fitted with.
- Due to its price tag, this model is often out of stock online.
5. Hiland portable Ta Patio Heater
Another popular model of propane tank powered outdoor patio heater is the Hilan portable Ta Patio Heater model. This is a far more compact outdoor patio heater, measuring at just 38″ in height – which means that it can be easily moved to wherever the user wishes to warm.
This type of outside heater can produce up to 11,000 Btu’s through its variable control settings, and also feature a built-in regulator as well as anti-tilt safety precautions which will help keep guests safe as well as warm.
- Compact size allows for table-top usage, which means that guests can make the most out of the patio space which the heater is used, as well as giving them the option to easily move it.
- Comes with a standard 1-year warranty, as well as being made by one of the only US suppliers who maintain a full line of replacement parts and repair services.
- Its compact size may not be the best for those looking to add warmth to a larger patio area.
- Does not include a propane tank.
6. GreenTech Environmental Pureheat Aluminum Outdoor 3-in-1 Space Heater and Air Purifier
Another one of the best electric patio heaters is the GreenTech Environmental Pureheat 3-in-1. Not only is this model an electric heater, but it is also a remote-controlled air purifier.
This model features three different temperature settings, which are shown through a digital display, and the user can feel the energy it produces up to 15 square feet away.
- This outdoor patio heater is the perfect way of offering guest warmth and protection against all weather conditions, as its aluminium body makes it durable enough to withstand any amount of force that nature can exert.
- By using three different heat methods, the GreenTech Enviroemtnal Pureheat model creates a safe and efficient heat which does not carry the same risk levels as oils, quarts bulb heaters or ceramic heaters may.
- The device is powered through an electrical cord and therefore must be situated near a plug socket.
- Due to their high demand, these outdoor patio heater devices are often out of stock on Amazon.
7. Cock1 Outdoor Patio Heater
The Cock1 Outdoor Patio Heater is yet another one of the best patio heater options for those who are looking for a way to bring heat into their garden this winter.
This model is one of the best alternatives to fire pits as it can produce an impressive heat of around 47,000 Btu’s within a radius around the heater. This heater is operated through a propane tank which holds a 20lb propane tank, which gives it additional stability at the bottom and prevents it from tipping.
- This patio heater includes several built-in safety features which minimise the risk of anything bad happening – such as an auto-turn off tilt setting, as well as an auto-turn off feature for when the propane tanks run out.
- It is made using high quality, durable stainless steel within its heating element, which prevents the risk of any part melting.
- Its large dimensions may not be ideal for those looking for more table-top options.
- The price range of the device might be outside of the budget for some buyers.
8. Mirage Heat-Focusing Propane Heater
A popular commercial patio heater option is the Mirage Heat-Focusing Patio Heater.
This is a propane-powered heater with the power to heat around 120 square feet with as much as 38,200 BTUs. This durable patio heater features heat-focusing reflectors on the top of it which let the user direct the heat the device produces in any direction they wish.
- The large pyramid style mounted heaters within the gas-powered device create a more than adequate amount of heat to keep guests warm and happy, regardless of the weather.
- The weighted base of the patio heater is fitted with wheels which make the transport of the heater far easier.
- This patio heater is more expensive than some others, so could be outside of some buyer’s budgets.
- The large-scale nature of the patio heater makes it only accessible within a large enough area.
9. Hampton Bay Bronze Heat-focusing Propane Patio Heater
Another popular model of propane tank operated patio heater is the Hampton Bay Heat-focusing Gas Heater. Again, this heater comes equipped with a heat-focusing reflector, which gives users the ability to easily alter the heating area of their patio by simply changing the direction of the heat-focusing adjustable reflectors.
- The cone-shaped burners of this LP gas-powered patio heater can create up to 38,200 BTU’s – which is enough to cover as much as 120 square feet which are more than adequate.
- It is also covered with a high-quality, durable powder coating which will prevent the elements from degrading the propane tanks.
- Assembly is required for this device, although it comes with fully detailed instructions.
- Due to the high demand for this product, there are often not enough models in stock to meet demands.
10. Hampton Bay Tabletop Propane Heater
The Hampton Bay Tabletop Heater is another popular choice for those who are looking to heat smaller areas such as table-top surfaces. This device can produce up to 11,000 Btu’s, whilst still being just 11.5 inches in height – making it one of the best outdoor tabletop heaters on the market.
- These tabletop heaters are made from durable, weather-tested stainless steel, which ensures that they will keep guests warm and cosy for years to come.
- The portable size of these products allows for it to be used throughout your home easily – without any heavy-lifting or rearranging.
- The table-top size of this device means that it cannot heat a larger patio area as quickly as others.
- The amount of heat which is produced is slightly less than from larger models.
11. Mr Heater Propane Radiant Heater
Yet another of the best patio heater devices for those looking to make sure their patio is kept warm this winter would be the Mr Heater Radiant Heater.
Unlike some of the others mentioned, this device is a radiant heater – which means that it heats what is directly in front of it, rather than the surrounding area. This, alongside its convenient size and dimensions, makes it an ideal commercial patio heater.
- Produces up to 35,000 Btu’s – which can heat an area of roughly 800 square feet – making it ideal for keeping your guests and patio warm.
- Requires no electricity, and has a built-in anti-tilt safety feature which will shut it off automatically should the device tip over.
- As these are radiant heaters, they do not heat all of the surrounding area bur rather just the area directly in front of the heater.
- Larger sized propane fuelled heaters are available to heat larger surface areas.
12. Aokairuisi Outdoor Gas Patio Heaters
The Aokairuisi Outdoor Gas Patio Heater is another of the best patio heater options for those who are looking to bring warmth to a large heating area. They can heat around 40 – 60 meters squared, and produce up to 48,000 Btu’s of heat.
Their double door access system makes changing over LP gas tanks a simple, carefree task and their thermonuclear and anti-tilt systems add extra safety and peace of mind for the user.
- The Aokairuisi heater generates a large amount of warmth quickly and silently.
- It can be easily converted from LP to natural gas – should the user wish – meaning the heater is a great choice for environmentally conscious buyers.
- These are premium priced products which may be out of the budget of some buyers.
- The size of these models may be too large for smaller patio areas.
13. Bali Outdoors Portable Patio Heater
Another one of the best portable patio heaters is the Bali Outdoors model. This LP gas-powered, lightweight and portable device can produce up to 10,000 Btu’s – whilst still being just over 31″ and weighing just 14lbs – making it one of the top picks for portable heaters.
- Features a built-in ODS protection device which automatically cut off the fuel to the heater if there is not enough oxygen – meaning it can be used both indoors and out.
- It’s compact size and weight makes it ideal for transporting – such as when camping, tailgating or going out onto patios and balconies.
- Its compact dimensions may not be the best for heating large patio areas or spaces.
- More premium models are available for those who have a higher budget.
14. Cock1 Outdoor Patio Heater with Wheels
The Cock1 Outdoor Heater with wheels is another one of the top picks for those who are looking to make sure their patio is well heated all through the winter months. This commercial heater is fitted with wheels which make the transport of the 87″ freestanding heater a simple, stress-free task. It can produce a massive 46,000 Btu’s of warmth quickly and is designed to be totally weather-proof.
- It’s easy-to-use Piezo ignition system works through a simple push-to-operate mechanism which makes getting the heater fired up extremely easy and fast.
- The heater also comes with all of the nuts, bolts, screws and tools that you will need to properly assemble and maintain the patio heater.
- These are premium priced models which may be too expensive for some buyers.
- Because of their high demand, there are often stock shortages of the Cock1 Heater with wheels.
15. Mainstays Large Patio Heater
The Mainstays Patio Heater is another one of the best all-round options for those who are looking to make sure their patio or outdoor space is kept warm during the chill of winter. It can generate an impressive 40,000 Btu’s of warmth at the push of a button, and is fitted with anti-tilt protection which will automatically shut off the gas consumption should the heater tilt.
- This heater has a metallic top and a stylish brown body which will add an essence of class and taste to any patio or garden setting.
- It is also equipped with built-in wheels which mean that it can be easily moved throughout your garden, despite its large size (31.50″x 31.50″ x 86.60″)
- This model is not a budget option as there are some cheaper models available for those who are on a tighter budget.
- These models also often sell out, so there may not be enough stock to match consumer demands.
Considerations Choosing Outdoor Patio Heaters
When shopping for the best outside heaters, it can seem overwhelming when first faced with the volume of options – especially if you are a first-time buyer.
However, whilst brand loyalty may play a factor in your decision making, there are some key considerations which you could benefit from bearing in mind before you make a final decision.
Size & Shape Of The Area
Arguably one of the most crucial factors to consider when looking for the best patio heater is the area in which you intend to use the heater within, and how many people are typically going to be using it.
If you and your family usually sit around a single table, then perhaps a tabletop model would the best options. But, if you are looking to heat multiple or larger areas then a free-standing gas model may be best. Additionally, if you wish to heat an enclosed area, then you have to consider that and may wish to opt for an electric model.
Heat Output (Btus)
Another crucial consideration which you should look into before deciding on the best patio heater is the heat output (Btus) of each device. This varies from model to model, and the larger the amount of Btus that heaters produce, the warmer the patio will be.
However, the true value of this amount of heat is depended on a number of factors such as proximity and the location of the heating area – as such it is always beneficial to read customer reviews before making a final decision.
Many of the best patio heaters on the market come with some built-in safety feature which can help to keep the customer worry-free. As you can imagine, any heater carries with it some potential risks.
Customers should ensure that the heater they purchase is fitted with anti-tilt protection if there is a risk of strong winds and that the patio heaters they choose are not top-heavy to prevent them from falling over.
The thermostat options which patio heaters are fitted with are another crucial consideration that customers ought to factor into their decision-making process.
Some devices are fitted with easy-to-use thermostat settings which let the user set the device to their desired heat, whereas others simply turn on and have to be switched off or turned down when they reach the heat the user wants.
The cost of owning and operating each heater varies largely depending on size, as well as the style of heating mechanisms used.
The larger floor standing heaters are, as you’d imagine, generally more expensive than smaller tabletop heaters, which typically cost less to maintain and operate as – if it is a large gas burning model – then it will typically go through more fuel, and end up costing you more.
However, using a smaller heater to warm up a large outdoor space may also result in you using more fuel than a larger device as it will get burned up faster – which is something to bear in mind when choosing the most cost-effective way of heating your outdoor space.
Another crucial factor which can help buyers make a solid decision is the portability of a heater. When buying a larger, floor-standing model – which can often be quite tall in height – it pays to know whether or not the model is equipped with wheels.
Models with wheels are generally far earlier to navigate around your patio, letting you direct the warmth to any heating area you choose.
Design & Features
The aesthetics of how patio heaters look often plays an important part in the decision making of some customers. Many of the floor-standing patio heaters are mainly designed to be weather-proof and durable, as well as being optimised to bring warmth to your heating area.
Stainless steel is a popular material of choice for patio heaters as it is both strong as well as stylish. Some customers may also opt for open flame mounted heaters for extra ambience and cosiness.
Types Of Outdoor Patio Heaters
Free Standing Heaters
These types of heaters are generally large in dimension and powered through LP gas or a natural gas alternative.
They are one of the most common and effective ways of warming a large patio or garden space and are also popular in commercial settings such as bars and restaurants because of their effectiveness. They come in a variety of styles, including open flames with a glass tube, or mushroom style models with adjustable reflectors.
Table Top Heaters
Table-top heaters are an ideal solution to beating the cold for those who have a smaller heating area. Customers who wish to sit around a table in their garden and be comfortable may find this type of model ideal.
They are mainly powered by smaller tanks of gas, but can also be electrical in some cases. Because of their size, these models are easily transported and can be perfect for events such as camping, as well as sitting comfortably in the garden.
Wall Or Ceiling Mounted
A popular option for those who are looking to optimise the available space that they have in their garden is to choose a wall or ceiling mounted heater. These are mostly powered through electricity and often use infrared heat to bring warmth to your home and garden.
Many of these can be attached to a bracket which is fixed to the wall – which would let the user direct the heat at any angle they wish.
Hanging Or Umbrella Heaters
These variety of heater are one of the most effective in heating up a room, as they are hung from the ceiling in the place of a lamp or light shade. As such the heat quickly dissipates throughout the room, heating you home faster.
Hanging or patio umbrella heaters are mostly electrical as they are attached in a similar way to a light fitting.
Fire Pit Heaters
Fire pits are probably the most aesthetically pleasing of all the heaters mentioned, and also one of the simplest in its function. Firepit heaters are designed to hold a burning heat source which brings both warmth as well as ambience to any garden setting.
They are also one of the more cost-effective ways of heating a garden during the winter or at night as the energy which it produces is far less concentrated or focused than through other means.
What is the best outdoor propane heater?
Propane-powered heaters are by far one of the most tried-and-tested ways of effectively heating an outdoor setting. Given the variety of different models which are out there, the single best gas heater entirely depends on the tastes of the buyer and what they are looking for from the device.
What is the most effective patio heater?
The effectiveness of each heater is again dependant on factors such as the size of the heating area it is being used in and the type of model used. The fuel source of the heater is another factor which can influence its effectiveness and something users should consider when making a purchase.
Do propane patio heaters work?
Yes. They are one of the most commonly found ways to bring the heat to an outside setting because of their proven ability to do exactly that. Whilst there are several different varieties of heater out there, LP gas models should not be ruled out as an effective choice.
Which propane heaters are safe for indoor use?
Provided that caution is taken, there are several models of gas-powered heaters which are safe to use indoors. However, you should remember that all heaters require sufficient ventilation to work properly and that there should be a steady flow of air through the house if an LP gas-fuelled heater is to be used indoors safely.