When you’re on the lookout for the best wood step stool, it can be hard to know where to start and what to look for. To make things easier, we’ve hand-picked 20 of the best wooden step stools on the market. Whether you’re looking for a mid-century inspired step stool to fit seamlessly alongside your existing home decor or, rather, a bright and colorful step stool that will help give your child independence with tasks such as cleaning their teeth or helping you out with baking in the kitchen, we have you covered.
Top 20 Wooden Step Stools 2020
Let’s take a look at the top 20 step stools we’ve found for you in 2020.
1. B. Spaces by Battat Two-Step Stool
The Wooden Two-Step Stool from B. Spaces by Battat pairs textured and patterned wood with a soft mint shade and makes for the perfect kids’ step stool. Designed to provide your little one with a stable platform to reach new heights, this is one of the best step stools for playrooms. Quick to assemble and easy to clean, this kids’ step stool really is a practical yet stylish option.
- Stylish in its design by combining trendy patterns and a mid-century finish.
- Provides a wide and stable platform.
- As with all painted surfaces, the paintwork can be prone to scuffing.
2. Wood City Toddler Step Stool
Next up, we have chosen Wood City’s Toddler Step Stool; with slip-proof mats on the feet, this stool will stay firmly in one spot, making it ideal for kids. Light in terms of weight and featuring two built-in handle holes, this toddler step stool can be moved around the house at a moment’s notice.
- Lightweight, portable, and designed to provide a stable no-wobble platform.
- Can hold up to 200lbs in weight.
- Lacks the fun colors and patterns seen among other step stools.
- Non-folding construction.
3. Melissa & Doug Wooden Step Stool
The Melissa & Doug Wooden Step Stool is another simplistic item for kids. Available in blonde, gray, and white, you’ll be able to select your color preference, allowing it to match with your pre-existing playroom decor. Constructed from wood, this step stool makes for a practical addition to your set-up and will allow for your kids to climb up to 14″.
- Available in a range of colors.
- Practical height of 14″.
- Less premium step stool models are available for a lower price.
- Not available pre-assembled.
4. Houchics Wooden Two-Step Stool
Available in seven different colors, the Houchics Two-Step Wood Stool is constructed from solid wood and boasts a beautiful textured finish. Equipped with non-slip mats beneath each foot as well as rounded corners to prevent bumps and scrapes, this two-step stool is designed with kids in mind.
- Equipped with safety features.
- Has a stylish finish that will match any contemporary decor.
- Slightly pricier due to its premium quality.
- A small number of reviews note that assembling this stool is a little fiddly.
5. Houchics High Gloss Step Stool
Another premium quality step stool from Houchics, the High Gloss Step Stool is similarly available in a choice of seven colors but, unlike our previous recommendation, has a stunning gloss finish. Integrated slip-resistant foot pads, arc-shaped corners, and an oval slat for carrying work together to create a practical stool.
- Available in seven different colors to suit your home’s decor.
- Excellent value for money.
- A few reviews note that the assembly instructions are a little unclear.
- Neither a folding nor a two-step design.
6. Wildkin Slatted Wooden Step Stool
Next, we’ve picked out the Wildkin Slatted Wooden Step Stool. Made from durable and environmentally friendly Rubberwood, this is a resilient stool designed for kids. Lightweight and easy-to-carry, this step stool will encourage independence among your kids as they can position the stool where it’s needed and help out with tasks that would have been out of their reach without it.
- Made from eco-friendly materials.
- Equipped with a non-slip surface.
- Doesn’t have an integrated handle.
- Features a single step rather than two.
7. Wood City Black Step Stool
If you were a fan of the Wood City stool we previously mentioned, then you’ll love the matte finish of this equally practical and stylish Black Step Stool. With an impressive surface area, non-slip pads, and no gaps between the steps, this step stool will provide your child with a stable and secure footing.
- Has a load capacity of up to 200lbs.
- Kitted out with safety features.
- Has only received a small number of user reviews on Amazon at present.
- More premium wooden stool models are available.
8. Wildkin Espresso Finish Two-Step Stool
The vintage feel of the Wildkin Espresso Finish Two-Step Stool means that it can fit seamlessly in with your home’s decor. Made from a combination of a durable MDF and solid wood, this toddler step stool features two steps so that your kid can safely access those previously out of reach spots.
- Equipped with two handles for ease of carrying.
- Wipe-clean steps, making it ideal for messy young children.
- This isn’t a folding step-stool although it boasts an easy-to-carry design.
- Isn’t equipped with grip pads.
9. Wood Pals Wooden Step Stool
The chic Wooden Step Stool from Wood Pals is suitable for children and adults alike. The no-collapse structural design means that this stool offers support and an impressive degree of stability. Ideal for the environmentally conscious, this step stool is plastic-free and instead makes use of solid, high-quality wood.
- Constructed from lightweight pine wood.
- As a testament to the quality of this step stool, Wood Pals offer a 100% money-back guarantee.
- A small number of Amazon users note that this wooden step stool is a little fiddly to assemble.
- More premium wooden step stools are available.
10. Houchics Blue Two-Step Stool
Our tenth pick is yet another quality choice from Houchics; the Blue Two-Step Stool has a 260lb capacity, making it suitable for both children and adults. Equipped with slip-prevention mats on each foot and curved edges to stop any bumps and scrapes, this stool has plenty of children-friendly safety measures to reassure parents.
- Incorporates numerous safety features.
- Coated with a deep blue shade to complement any contemporary decor.
- Has gaps between the steps so make sure to supervise young kids using it.
- Has only received a limited number of user reviews at present.
11. IKEA Bekvam
No list of the best wooden step stools would be complete without a statement piece from IKEA. This 2-step wood stool can fit well with any home decor as it’s available in three colors: beige, black, and white. Constructed from solid beech wood and featuring an integrated hand-hole in the top step, this is a reliable and functional stool.
- Constructed from solid beech for durability.
- Available in three different colors.
- A few reviews note that the bottom step is on the narrower side.
- Doesn’t feature the bright colorful patterns seen among other kids’ step stools.
12. Earthlite Wood Step Stool
The Earthlite Wood Step Stool is a bit of a departure from the typical design you would expect to see from other stools on the market; the hardwood maple used in its construction boasts a unique curved shape and can hold up to 250lbs. The large surface area is ideal for young children as it provides a sturdy platform to stand on while the attractive wax finish of this step stool makes it easy to clean.
- Has a large surface area.
- Doesn’t require any assembly.
- Only reaches 7″ in height.
- If you’re looking for a 2-step stool, this stool won’t be for you.
13. Ecrocy Wooden Step Stool
The solid wooden Ecrocy Step Stool is another functional option that doesn’t compromise on style. With a wide platform, rounded corners, and a portable hand-hole, this step stool ticks all the boxes and is a reliable choice for a kids’ step stool. Capable of holding up to 400lbs, this is one of the best wood step stools we have listed for you in terms of its resilient build and multi-purpose usage.
- Impressive weight capacity of up to 400lbs.
- Minimalist style that will complement a range of home decors.
- Only features one step.
- On the heavier side as a result of its robust build.
14. BCC Hardwood Step Stool with Handle
Next up, we have the premium BCC Hardwood Step Stool with Handle. Constructed from solid hardwood, this luxurious product has a handle attached to provide additional stability, making it perfect for use as a toddler step stool. Felt protectors are attached to the feet for guaranteed grip as well as a preventative measure against scratching your flooring.
- Constructed from handcrafted hardwood.
- Features a handle for ease of carrying and extra stability.
- On the more expensive side due to its premium quality.
- Has only received a limited number of user reviews on Amazon at this time.
15. CoCoyes Wooden Toddler 2-Step Stool
If practicality is a key factor for you then you’ll love the CoCoyes Wooden Toddler 2-Step Stool. This sturdy stool has two steps, making it well-suited for toddlers learning to brush their teeth or use the potty seat. Each side has two handles, rounded corners, and is made from a natural wood painted with BPA-free paint. With slip-resistant rubber feet, extra-wide steps, and no gaps between the platforms, this step stool is among the best for kids.
- CoCoyes provide a 100% money-back warranty.
- Equipped with numerous safety features, making it one of the best kids’ step stool models.
- This wood step stool requires assembly at home.
- This product isn’t a folding step stool, although it’s easy to store.
16. SDADI Kitchen Step Stool with Safety Rail
Best-suited to toddlers ages 18 months to 36 months, the SDADI Kitchen Step Stool has an integrated four-sided safety rail to provide the support your toddler needs to help out in the kitchen. SDADI also provide attachable anti-slip strips for each of the four legs for additional safety. This functional and secure step stool is available in three colors and its solid wooden frame has a non-toxic, lead-free coating.
- One of the safest step stools we’ve listed here thanks to its integrated safety rail.
- User reviews praise this stool for its ease of assembly.
- Requires assembly upon delivery.
- A little more expensive than our other less premium options.
17. Frenchi Step Stool
The traditional look of the Frenchi Step Stool will complement any vintage-inspired home decor while giving your kid more independence thanks to the height it provides. With two steps and a weight capacity of 150lbs, you really can’t go wrong with this wood step stool.
- Features hand-carved detailing for a traditional aesthetic.
- Has a 2-step structure, making it ideal for use as a kids’ step stool.
- Has gaps between each step, making it less suited to unsupervised toddlers.
- A few users have criticized the width-to-height ratio of this stool.
18. Lehom Wood Step Stool
The simplistic finish of Lehom Step Stool and its unique build make it well-suited for giving kids that extra height in the bathroom, kitchen, and playroom. Unlike most wood step stools, this product doesn’t require any assembly. With eight rubber pads at its base, this is one of the best stools in terms of stability.
- Has an impressively large child-friendly platform area.
- Constructed from quality pine wood.
- Doesn’t provide as much standing height as other stools.
- Comes with a higher price tag due to its premium quality.
19. Fantasy Fields Themed Step Stool
For a more colorful, playroom-styled step stool, take a look at the Fantasy Fields Themed Step Stool. With fun safari-themed illustrations and a built-in storage area beneath the step, your kid will love this two-step stool. The scene pictured is hand-painted using lead-free paints and the steps themselves are easy-to-clean and non-slip.
- Depicts a colorful safari scene to brighten up any room.
- Doubles up to provide storage.
- Has only received a small number of user reviews at this time.
- Can be a little time-consuming to construct.
20. Boraam 3-Step Stool
Last but by no means least, we’ve selected the Boraam 3-Step Stool. The solid hardwood construction of this folding step stool makes this an especially attractive yet practical item of furniture. An integrated safety latch ensures that the three steps can be fixed in place when in use, while the folding mechanism allows for easy storage.
- Boasts a three-step system.
- Ideal for those seeking a stylish folding step stool.
- Less suitable for young, unsupervised children due to its height.
- A few reviews note that the instructions are a little unclear in places.